October 12, 2022
6:30 PM – 8:00 PM
With over 100 people in attendance, Baltimore County and the design team of JMT and Ayers Saint Gross, launched the Reimagine Security Square Design Charrette. The evening concluded with comments from the County Executive thanking the participants and encouraging continued engagement from community members.
The workshop launched with a short presentation (included on the website) explaining the purpose, the process and the schedule of the charrette, and explaining the various activities for attendees to participate in throughout the evening. After the presentation, attendees went to the different activity boards to share their input on what a Reimagined Security Square Mall could look like.
Activities for the evening included:
- Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threats Discussion: Attendees shared their insights and opinions about what is good, missing, can be improved, and concerns about what could prevent change.
- Likes/Dislikes: Using dots, marking the areas around the property that people liked or didn’t like.
- Vision Statements: Community members wrote their personal vision statement that they desired for the community.
- Reimagining Security Square: Using dots, attendees could identify their top three items that were important to be included in the area. Items included greenspace, playgrounds, restaurants, parks, housing, office space, and more.
- Kids Corner: Coloring pages and activities were available for children in attendance.
All of the boards from the evening are posted on the website.
The workshop participants provided a tremendous amount of information and insights. Major themes for the evening included wanting to provide more greenspace and an opportunity for activity and outdoor spaces at the mall. Identifying concepts that incorporate safe and family-friendly spaces was also discussed.
The Design Team will be reviewing the input from the workshop over the next few days during the Design Open House hours. Community members and stakeholders are encouraged to join the Design Team during the Open House hours to see the progress made and continue to provide input and insights throughout the entire process.